Man arrested for murder after doing CPR on woman crushed by wardrobe dreams he saved her

A dad who was arrested for murder after he desperately tried to save a woman crushed to death by a wardrobe in her hotel room says that she is always in his thoughts and keeps “seeing her face a lot” in his dreams.

Chloe Haynes, 21, was found dead in her room at the Adelphi Hotel in Liverpool city centre on September 10 after travelling from Pwllheli, Wales, for a night out with her friends.

It is believed by her devastated mum, Nicola Williams, that the incident was caused when Chloe had possibly mistaken the wardrobe door for that of the bathroom, causing the heavy piece of furniture to fall on top of her.

When a friend returned to the room, she found the body under the wardrobe and immediately screamed for help, prompting several guest coming to her aid.

Wayne Kenny, 46, had been staying at a room down the hall when he heard the commotion.

Under the guidance from a 999 operator, he gave Chloe CPR until the emergency services arrived.

However, moments later he was shockingly arrested for murder, before being locked up behind bars for 10 hours.

And now, the dad has revealed that despite being a stranger to Chloe, he keeps re-playing the incident over and over again in his sleep.

While he says that he has also been let go from agency work, he doesn’t regret trying to help Chloe, adding that his thoughts are with her family.

Heartbreakingly, he said: “I keep seeing her face a lot. In my dreams she comes alive and I get her back and she comes back. I keep having the same dream.”

Recalling the incident, he spoke to the Liverpool Echo, and said that he heard the cries for help outside his doorway and rushed to see how he couple help.

He said: “I was staying at the Adelphi and I got up in the morning and at first I heard the commotion outside the door and heard some guy say ‘she’s not breathing’ and I thought ‘did I hear that right then?’. So I got dressed as I was going to go out with my boys.

“I had a day out planned for me and the two boys. I came out of the room and as I walked past the door was open.”

Wayne continued to say that another man was attempting to give CPR, but he felt he was better placed to help and said “can you please let me try?”.

He added: “I have had some experience, but not fully medically trained obviously.

“I went in and I tried to give Chloe CPR. I think what I am struggling with is the fact I have done that not knowing she had been dead for hours. I had no idea.”

Wayne proceeded to carry out the motions of CPR under the guidance of a 999 operator until the paramedics came to the hotel. Shockingly, he then said that the emergency service officers even thanked him for his aid, and informed him that he could go back to his room.

That was, Wayne said, until had a knock on the door from police, adding: “The police knocked and said ‘you are the guy that was in the room a minute ago?’ I said yes, absolutely and he said ‘right you’re under arrest’ and I said for what? And he said ‘for murder.’

“I said ‘are you serious?’ and he said ‘yes, absolutely’.”

Following this, the 46-year-old was taken to custody where he had his clothes taken off him, was put in a paper suit in a “freezing” cell and “interrogated”.

Revealing how he felt at that moment, he said: “I feel bad talking about what I went through because I haven’t lost my life. But yeah, they took nail clippings, I had hardly any nails as I was just biting away at them but they were adamant in getting them.

“They took a bit of my hair and swabs, fingerprints.”

The dad added that he was left heartbroken for being accused of something that he didn’t do. And, he revealed the horrors of what he heard in jail, with other people taunting him.

He said: “As you can imagine, when he had left, I was thinking could I get accused for something I haven’t done, could they make a mistake?

“To be thinking that for 10 hours was hard work I think, because what he had also done by talking about it in the hallway, there were other people in custody and they were shouting ‘wait till you get to prison’.”

Eventually, Wayne, Chloe’s friends and another man were all released with no further action taken.

Speaking about why all members were arrested, a spokesperson for Merseyside Police said: “In the first 24 hours of an investigation it is essential all evidence is gathered.

“In this investigation the circumstances were not clear so we had to be guided by golden hour principles which includes the immediate collection of evidence to ascertain what has taken place.

“As soon as it became apparent that there were no suspicious circumstances the three men were all released without further action taken.

“At this moment in time we have not received a complaint and as such it would not be appropriate to comment further at this time.”